- Dec. 19-22. 2019: Premiere of his duet piece A PIECE OF CAKE at Song Yan Creative Lab.
- Aug. 2-25 2019: Selected into the Edinburgh Festival Fringe – Taiwan Season programme, his work MONSTER will perform 18 shows at Dance Base in August.
- Mar. 2019: He and choreographer Hsiao-Tzu Tien visited a circus school in Switzerland. Together they also participated cross-discipline and cross-culture experiments with Sarah Simili, the co-artistic director of Cie. Courant d’Cirque.
- Dec. 2018: He held the work-in-progress presentation for his choreography Solo with Flags. The project is supported by the Taipei City government, and is derived from White Flags, his artistic residency project at the National Theater & Concert Hall (Taipei) in 2017.
- Oct. 2018: He presented his work TSCHÜSS!! BUNNY in the Showcase Program at Busan International Dance Market (BIDAM 2018).
Choreographer, performer, music designer and artistic director of Dua Shin Te Production.
Born in 1986 in Nantou, Taiwan. Graduated from Graduate Institute of Dance, Taipei National University of the Arts.
Liu’s works often exhibit his thematic interest in human existence. The ethos of his creations is that “the life exists when the body exists; the body exists when the movement exists.” His approach is to return to rudimentary origins of body movements, seek the awakening of physical knowledges, and pursue the body’s boundless possibilities. By excavating performance movements from daily life, and by integrating other important materials, such as objects, visual or audio elements into our works, he attempts to create fantasy in reality, and reality in fantasy.
His persistent research and creation have won many supports: from LMF Dance Fund (2013 and 2016), from Cloud Gate Art Makers Project (2016), and from NTCH Art Residency Project (2017). With his work Nowhere he was awarded a special prize for choreography by Beijing International Ballet and Choreography Competition in 2013. His duet piece Tschüss!! Bunny, the winner of S-AN Artistic Creation Award, has toured from Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong, US, Spain, France, to Germany.
His choreography pieces include The End of Journey (2018), Monster (2017), under surface (2016), The Highest Place-All the Same (2015), Tschüss!! Bunny (2013).
A Piece of Cake
It’ll be an hour of intimate experience in a space where the barrier between audience and performers is erased. In between performed and instinctual expressions, between the real and the virtual, it is a process of making dream …more…
The End of Journey
Tangible waste is called “rubbish” whereas intangible waste is called “sacrifice”. But when something, or someone, becomes a useless waste, dose it really mean that such subject or person reaches the end of journey? …more…
Set in a daytime psychedelic mood, Monster is like a journey to retrace the time and an individual’s existence. I chase after himself, stand still, pace back and forth, and push onward recklessly. I start in a straight line, but then the path spins, twists and deforms …more…
Say goodbye to your past self, and embrace a brand-new one! While one’s self fades away with the passing of time, should one accept the new self and restart? Or should one keep fighting the tides of time with his/her own old identity? …more…
Down below is quite, safe, moist, dark.
In silence facing the self and the deadly.
Premiere: Oct. 20, 2016 for Tua-Tiu-Tiann International Festival of Arts, Taipei, Taiwan